Courts - Educating the Community
Court Procedures - Testifying in Court
- Be on time. Let your attorney know you are present.
- When testifying, speak clearly and plainly. Do not impress the Court with superior intelligence or vocabulary.
- Describe what you saw and heard. Do not offer conclusions.
- If there is a jury present, try to look at the jury as you are questioned.
- If you don't understand the question, ask for clarification.
- If you don't know the answer, tell the examiner you don't know.
- If you don't hear the question, ask the examiner to repeat the question.
- Refrain from using profanity unless it is a direct quote.
- Address the Judge as, "Your Honor."
- Do not discuss your testimony with the other witnesses.
If you are a victim of a crime, you have constitutional rights that will help you better understand what will happen in your case.
- The right to confer with the prosecutor about your case.
- The right to be free from harassment, intimidation and abuse throughout the criminal justice system.
- The right to be present at all proceedings where the defendant has the right to be present.
- The right to be heard, when relevant, at all critical states of the criminal justice process as defined by the General Assembly.
- The right to be informed of all proceedings, and of the release, transfer, or escape of the accused or convicted person.
- The right to a speedy trial or disposition and a prompt and final conclusion of the case after the conviction or sentence.
- The right to restitution from the offender.
- The right to know about each of these rights established for victims.
DAVIDSON COUNTY COURT
408 2nd Avenue North
Justice A.A. Birch Building
Nashville, Tennessee 37201
District Attorney's Office - (615) 862-5500
Victim Witness Program - (615) 862-5500
Juvenile Court - (615) 862-8000
SUMNER COUNTY COURT
General Sessions Court
Gallatin, Tennessee 37066
District Attorney's Office - (615) 451-5810
Sheriff's Department - (615) 452-2616
Juvenile Court - (615) 451-6016
Click here for information on traffic court procedures and information.