Goodlettsville's history has its roots in the early explorations of the long hunters in the late 1700s. Kasper Mansker, a German immigrant, discovered a salt lick in the area while following buffalo and wild game. In the winter of 1779 he established a trading outpost on the banks of the creek, taking advantage of the supply of fresh water and plentiful game. "Mansker's Fort" played a critical role in protecting the early settlers from frequent and fierce Indian attacks.
The early settlers were rugged and resourceful as they struggled through harsh winters and hostile surroundings. Mansker Station flourished as a growing community, with a strong faith in the providence and faithfulness of God and early revivals that drew a thousand at a time. Circuit riders, itinerant preachers who led worship gatherings in private homes, paved the way to the establishment of early churches in the area. The Goodlettsville Cumberland Presbyterian Church has been in its same location since 1848 and was rebuilt in 1902 after a fire destroyed the original log structure. Connell Memorial United Methodist Church was built in 1905 on a hill overlooking the town and boasts beautiful stained glass windows.
Around 1850 the town's name of Mansker Station was changed to Goodlettsville in honor of the well-respected Goodlett family, whose patriarch and grandsons served the community as physician, pastor, and store owner. The town has actually been incorporated twice, the first time in 1858, and again 100 years later in 1958, directing its own destiny under the authority of city manager, mayor and city commissioners.
Goodlettsville's longest running, family owned business, B. F. Myers began as a dry goods store on Main Street in the mid-1800s and is now a highly reputable furniture store.
The Bank of Goodlettsville, established in the basement of Myers store in 1889, moved to its first official home in 1900. The original bank building on Main Street was built of locally quarried limestone and has an illustrious history. As a bank it was robbed three times, its vault once blown open with dynamite.